Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

Monday, October 13, 2008

One Moment with the Senator

How would you explain the relationship of power with money in a public setting? Here’s one anecdote of mine that happened just last September 30. I am on my way to the Senate to run an errand. I had to go visit one Senator’s office to get some input on the paper we were writing and supposed to be due. On my way to the office of the Senator, I came across a couple. We were all stationed in the outside of the Ground Floor elevator and I was going to the 6th floor. The couple would be going to the office of Senator Enrile at the 5th floor. So what happened was we all waited till the elevator opened. There were three elevators. One was supposed for use of employees and officers of the Senate. The other two for guests. It so happened that we had chosen this elevator. And I told the couple who seemed came from the North as I had know accent of the Modern Igorot because I visited Sagada once, to just wait and ride with me so I could usher them. So I intended to be an usherette for them. But when we had entered the said elevator, the girl elevator operator told the couple that the said elevator was exclusively for use of the officers and employees of Senate. The couple was stunned, and before I was able to say to the girl that they were with me, they already came out.

So this was the magic. The elevator went up and we stopped at the 3rd floor. Surprisingly, Senator Enrile was apparently coming in. My thought was the Igorot couple who would be going to him. I told myself, if the couple was with me, they should have seen the Senator that close at that specific moment.

I was not a Senate employee. I was there only to do research and call. But the girl elevator operator did not ask me to leave the elevator. Maybe because I was dressed well and appeared to be educated; or probably mistaken me to be a Senator’s Staff. Yea, I had thought so. While we were riding up the 5th floor, no one would stand close beside Senator Enrile. I did. He was to my left. I know it is awkward to have some powerful person to your left, because the left side is the position of a follower (in kinesics or the science of body language). I have been trying to show that in this world we were equal and I did that shamingly! Since I was not supposed to be there either! I am not related to Senator Mar Roxas but I felt awkward to have the Senator to my left.

Now, I imagined what could have happened if the couple was there with us. Probably, they would also be half-hearted to approach Senator Enrile. I am not sure. In the Local Council, whenever constituents asked councilors for financial aid, they did it without shame. I am not sure if it’s the same in the Senate that is why they had to divide the three elevators for certain groups’ use.

Maybe, the Senate’s general services only think of the worse that is to happen; or only for security. But the security at the Senate Entrance is already too tight. Well, we do not know.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: